Dieser Artikel ist ausnahmsweise in englischer Sprache, um einem weiterem Publikum zugänglich zu sein.
Together with my business partner Michael Voit from [digital fellows] I am diving deep into resource efficient website building.
Through a couple of inspirations (check below) we realized: Building, deploying, running and viewing websites requries a lot of resources.
- bandwidth/data traffic,
- fossil fuel/plastic/rare-earth metals,
- human life time/frustration/mental capacities
We are currently about to get a clearer idea of what we want/can focus and how to buid more resource efficient websites.
We already know that fancy and glamourous websites likely are not the most resource efficient.
Likely low-tech, boring, old school and modest will be the way to go – while we have good hopes to make such websites pleasent to use and shin in their own qualities.
This page is mostly intended to be a place to paste inspirations, findings and maybe use as reference in conversations.
Please: Feel encouraged to get in contact.
- Page load is expensive: https://caspar.blog/web-vitals/
- Collection of strategies: https://sustainablewebdesign.org/strategies/
- A manifest: https://www.sustainablewebmanifesto.com/ (I think it is more fancy than wholesome – but maybe you like manifestos. One of my biggest struggles: there is no „clean energy“ – how do you think solar panels are build?)
- low impact version of a shop: https://lowimpact.organicbasics.com
- lightweight lowtech website powered by a solar panel: https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/about.html (if there is no sun, there is no website)
WordPress best practise inspiration
- https://webtrainingwheels.com/how-to-avoid-enormous-network-payloads-in-wordpress/ German translation: https://krautpress.de/2021/sehr-grosse-netzwerknutzlasten-vermeiden/
Gamified awareness websites
- Is you site hosted with green energy: https://www.ecograder.com/
- How much CO2 emission does your website cause: https://www.websitecarbon.com/
- I gave a small talk at WP Meetup Vienna in Feb 2021. Here are my slides (PDF download), there will be a video soon. We don’t have answers – but we already have some exciting questions.